Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mind as Sword


Tonight I went to Union Square with my friends. I met a Taiwanese girl who studied computer art in San Francisco and now got a job in R/GA, an interactive advertising agency. When I heard the name of her company, I almost dropped my jaw. It's the company I was looking for my internship!

I haven't sent my resume to R/GA, but I know I've very little chance to get an internship in there, because the company is mainly focusing on online interactive ads and Web page design. I can do neither of them. The area of my expertise is "communication," and what I mainly learn in school is to understand media's impact on society. I live and breathe in the words of Marshall McLuhan, Neil Postman, Joshua Meyrowitz, Jacques Ellul, David Bolter, and other titans in media studies. I observe how media affect human perception, understanding and feeling, and try to combine these knowledge with other fields of studies to interpret our social movements. But looking for a job in advertising agency's creative department? Sorry, I have to learn to produce a nice 3D animation or a cool digital image.

I still have confidence that I can find a job in the U.S., and I will keep on deepening my thoughts and strenthening my communication skill. For me, mind is like a sword. If you don't sharpen it everyday, it will rust.

No comments: