Monday, April 7, 2008

My new pattern of behavior


The girl I love in high school is getting married. If this is not complicated enough, then listen to this: she wants me to give a speech on her wedding day.

We have known each other since we were eleven years old and we were classmates for seven years in Indonesia. In elementary school, she was a girl you wouldn't have a second glimpse. But in junior high school, she suddenly became so gorgeous that almost every boy in the class wanted to be her boyfriend, and I was not an exception.

I knew I liked her because of her look, not her personality or character. Maybe this was the reason why I never pursued her, for I realize that I was just blinded by her appearance. However, after 1998 anti-Chinese incident in Indonesia, most of our classmates went back to Taiwan, and only three of us--including a girl who was my "shadow"--left.

During these three years in high school with mostly three students in class, I got the chance to really look into her thoughts. She has a pure and unblemished mind. I usually said she was foolish, but what's underlied beneath was her conviction that all human are good and we should do our best to be a great person. I was deeply attracted by her childlike mind.

Now, she is going to get married, while I also have a beloved girlfriend. Knowing each other for such a long time, I find it's hard to accept her new role as a wife or a mother. Of course, wedding provides a ritual for her to change from one role to another, and we are all happy to attend this great ceremony. But giving a speech in front of her parents, relatives, friends, husband, friends of her family, friends of her husband, and all the other people that you would never think of makes me faint.

In No Sense of Place, Joshua Meyrowitz points out that the combiation of many different audiences (such as wedding) will create a new social situation that people would need to change the patterns of role behavior. What I want to say to her as a friend on the wedding might embarrass her family or husband, and what I can say to her parents and relatives might be too sloppy or boring for her. Maybe I should see the movie Wedding Crashers again.

10 comments:

mike's spot said...

sorry to hear it man. its for the best in the long run. as soon as your speech is over I'd hit the open bar up like it was going out of style.

Mike Plugh said...

Interesting situation. I think everyone can relate to this in some way. I remember when I heard my high school girlfriend was married. I was shocked and had a strange feeling about it. I think I still have a strange feeling about it, actually.

That time in your life is very powerful. You learn a lot about your own emotions and the people you share those emotions with mean a lot to you. They are frozen in time, but when they enter the present and their relationship to you looks different, it's hard to figure out.

Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...

Mike's spot,
Thanks for your consolation. I am not feeling sad about her marriage. It's just a strange feeling squeezing my heart. Yah! It's sad!

Mike Plugh,
On my friend's blog, everyone leaves the same old cliche like "you find the one," "remember to be happy," or "cherish your love." But no one talk about what they really feel. Tell you the truth, I feel angry with his husband, and I wish I can be a better man than him. Very immature. I know.

Unknown said...

For man, is the girl whom you never get the best???????

BTW, I am really curious why man always look for the new girl/woman instead of cherish the one who is already with you? ^^"

Matthew Hennessey said...

I'm curious. When you write the title, are you thinking of the picture or the text? I thought I had it figured out, until this one here. My new pattern of behavior. Very mysterious.

Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...

Lynnnnnnnnn,
Most people would just love the thing they can't have. Did I say I still love the girl I've mentioned before? No, right? I cherish my girlfriend. Don't worry. :)

Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...

Matthew,
Thanks for your comment. I don't get what you're asking. Ususally, I try to make the picture and the text closely tie together, and in this post, the title shows that I've to change my pattern of behavior toward my friend. There is really nothing mysterious in it, hahaha.

mike's spot said...

Lynn-

I care very much about the girl I am with. I don't think many guys are constantly looking for something better- and if that has been your experience, you may just be attracted to a certain type of man. (read: they are probably tools)

we could nit-pick between the genders and their differences, but I agree with plugh. and I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking your a better man than her soon to be husband. You want the absolute best for her, and in that knowledge, it makes sense to think you could provide it.

Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...

Mike Spot,
Thanks for your comments. You elaborate (or embellish) my thought about why I want to be a better man than her husband. I have a more evil thought--making her jealous. But Lynn is right, we have to cherish and focus on the one we now have. For what is suitable for our ex is not always good for our current.

Chifeng said...

翠元跟我轉述的時候
我覺得你怎麼這麼可愛

現在看你寫的文章
又覺得有些感動

你答應要致詞了嗎??

期待!




我是紀鳳