Friday, March 21, 2008

Cia Guo-Qiang and Chinese ink painting


I saw Cai Guo-Qiang's I want to belive in Guggenheim in New York today. The first time I heard his name was about four years ago when my teacher of Chinese ink painting talked about the new creative Chinese artists. I know some of his works exhibit in Taiwan, but I never have the chance to see them. Now, I meet his art work in New York City. I am really proud of this guy.

Cia Guo-Qiang is one of the most creative artists trying to break the old definition of traditional Chinese ink painting. Most of his large-scale drawings are made from igniting gunpoder and fuses laid on fibrous paper, and the reasults like the diffusion of black ink. He make the process of "explosion events" more creative than the art work itself, and you can feel every piece of it contains certain unplanned remainer of explosive matters.

Cia Guo-Qinag's work reminds me the good thing about Chinese ink painting. Once you practice Chinese ink painting, you can't be a tyranny or despot, because ink is so difficult to control on fibrous paper and you have to respect every single brush stroke. Artists, especially Chinese ink artists, have to know the preciousness of unpredictable results of ink diffusion. You can't erase the ink marks that you are not satisfied. You have to live with it, and try to intergrate them into the whole painting. Chinese ink painting is about letting go your ego, and learning how to appreciate every thing that is different from you.

No comments: