Friday, March 7, 2008

My dilemma


Thanks to my classmate Mike Plugh, I can provide the voice of thousands of dissidents for people in China. Mike gives me a link to Psiphon--a software that allows people in uncensored countries (such as America) to provide unfettered access to the Net to people who live behind firewalls of states that censor (such as China).

It is very simple. First, I download Psiphon, start it up, give my server a name, wait for my server passing through all the tests, and then I can start to provide people in China to access to blocked sites. However, as a censorship circimvention provider, I must carefully choose users living in a censored country. I don't know how it works, but if my user tells China's Internet police force about my IP address, then my server will be blocked and all the other users can no longer use the Psiphon I provide to them.

Here is the dilemma. I believe one of my friend is a lover of free speech and he hates government's censorship on Web sites, but his father used to work for the Chinese government.
What if his father finds out his son is using Psiphon? Should I give this friend my Psiphon server? Also, I have very closed friend working in a local court in China. Should I provide a chance for a judge to do something that is not accepted by the law? Ahhhh.....

No comments: