Sunday, March 16, 2008

A trip to Boston


Is it true that Boston Red Sox is the symbol of Boston City, so red becomes the representative color of the city? Or, is it the reddish-brown brick buildings and lobsters that make me connect red with Boston?

In Boston, I feel that New York City is blue simply because the color of Red Socks. Living in NYC, I don't realize the impact of New York Yankee on our media environment and the mythology of the city. Only until I saw the baseball caps with big, red, capital B appeal everywhere in Boston did I realize that sports teams has dominate the sensorium of American culture.

Creating the dualism of colors is not only a way of identify the differences between two cities, it is also a way to create a difference that builds on an image without any substance. How does Boston look like? might be a stupid question I've asked my when I drew the painting above. But the answer might not be so silly if you understand we are unconsciously imitating our surroundings. Boston looks like "red."

3 comments:

YiFaN ReN said...

hey buddy, it's a pretty cool picture! An abstract lobster/dragon combo figure?
went to Boston last year for the China Review conference in Harvard, it's a pretty big one, and i guess it's still going this year...
i still remember the extremely yummy lobster dish! i guess the restaurant is called Legal Seafood or sth, probably a very famous one.
if i have to pick a color, i guess Boston is more green than red to me, perhaps simply because i'm such a big Boston Celtics supporter rather than a Red Sox fan...

Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Chu 朱澤人 said...

I agree that green--the color of Boston Celtics--can be an alternative color of Boston. This prove my point--sports team dominate the cultural symbol of this country. And man, where is your blog? Where's that "elgoog" comes from?